Fort William Highlands tourist attractions
The old fort (An Gearasdan) in Fort William is well-placed as a strategic strong hold. It lies at confluence of two lochs, Loch Linnhe and Loch Eil, during the south end associated with the Great Glen, affording good offer paths. The initial wood fort, referred to as Inverlochy Fort, was built-in 1654 by General George Monck, (Cromwell’s Commander-in-chief in Scotland). It absolutely was replaced with a stone fort in 1690 under the way of General Hugh MacKay of Scourie, in 1992, and soon after fortified by General Wade in 1725. The fort, ended up being known as Fort William, after King William III, with the title of Queen becoming bestowed regarding the nearby settlement of Maryburgh. Town ended up being later on called Gordonsburgh, then Duncansburgh and finally Fort William. The fort also marks the western start/end of the Great Glen Way, a 73 mile long-distance course.
The fort attained notoriety because of its part inside infamous Glen Coe Massacre of 1692. It unsuccessfully besieged by the Jacobites when you look at the uprising of 1744, and served as a disembarkation point for anyone visiting The united states due to the Highland Clearances. The fort ended up being sold because of the War workplace in 1864 to Christina Cameron Campbell, which converted the barrack blocks into tenant houses. It was later followed closely by compulsory purchase because of the North Railway business when you look at the belated 19th century that heralded the demise regarding the fort. The fort was gradually demolished in the early to mid twentieth century, with reaming wall space being knocked-down in 1975.
Little today continues to be of this fort apart from its enclosing seaward wall surface on location and its entry archway (today sited at Craigs burial-ground a brief distance away). A number of the stones from old fort are also used again in the city’s ocean defences. The West Highland Museum additionally houses a number of the inner wood panelling from fort, as well as other artefacts linked to the fort.
The old fort is delivered to life through a series of exemplary interpretation panels on the webpage, from the Friends of the Old Fort with support from Highland Council. The boards lead to an interesting read, combining text with old and contemporary pictures. The interpretation boards are found at periods round the website. Discover an introductory board into the site, detailing the history associated with the fort, another board defines the moving regarding the curved internal gateway to Craig’s cemetery, another defines the décor and occasions associated with the Governor’s area and workplace, whilst another focuses on the partnership involving the old fort therefore the city when you look at the 19th and twentieth century. The ultimate board illustrates the occasions surrounding the siege associated with fort in 1746.
There's been some welcome renovation strive to the remains for the fort, and benches have now been placed across the beach front, accessed through a stone-arched gateway. There's also some cannons situated near commercial establishments within the wall space regarding the fort